Rules related to a dying person
539. As per obligatory precaution, a Muslim who is dying, whether man or woman, old or young, should be laid on his/her back if possible, in such a manner that the soles of his/her feet would face the Qibla. If it is not completely possible to lie him down in that position, one should try to do that as much as possible. If it is not possible to lie down a person at all, it is better to make him/her sit in such a manner that he/she faces Qibla, and if even that is not possible, then he/she should be laid on his/her right or left side facing Qibla.
540. It is recommended that the dead body should be laid facing the Qibla during the Ghusls. However, when Ghusls are completed, it is better to lay it the same way as it is laid when prayers are offered for it.
541. As per obligatory precaution, it is Wajib upon every Muslim, to lay a dying person facing the Qibla. And, if possible, it is better to take the permission of the guardian of the dying person for doing so.
542. It is recommended that the doctrinal testimony of Islam (Shahadatain) and the acknowledgement of the twelve Imams (peace be upon them) and other tenets of faith should be inculcated to a dying person in such a manner that he/she would understand. It is Mustahab that these utterances are repeated till the time of his/her death.
543. It is recommended that the following supplications should be read over to a dying person in such a manner that he/she would understand: Allahumma Ighfir Liyal
Kathira Mim Ma'asika Waqbal Minniyal Yasira Min Ta'atika Ya Man Yaqbalul Yasira Wa Ya'afu 'Anil Kathir, Iqbal Minniyal Yasira Wa'fu 'Anniyal Kathir. Innaka Antal 'Afuwwul Ghafur. Allahumma Irhamni fa Innaka Rahim.
544. It is Mustahab to carry a person experiencing painfully slow death to the place where he used to offer prayers, provided that it does not cause him any discomfort.
545. If a person is in the throes of death, it is Mustahab to recite by his side Surah Yasin, Surah As – Saffat, Surah Al – Ahzab, Ayat Al – Kursi and 54th verse of Surah Al – A'raf and the last three verses of Surah Al – Baqarah. In fact it is better to recite as much from the holy Qur'an as possible.
546. It is Makrooh to leave a dying person alone or to place a weight on his stomach, or being Junub or Haa’ez by the side of dying person, or to chatter idly or wail near him or to let only women remain with him.