651. In Islam, several Ghusls are Mustahab. Some of them are listed below:
- Ghusl – e – Jumuah: Its prescribed time is from Fajr to Zuhr, however it is better to perform it near Zuhr. If, however, a person does not perform it till noon, he can perform it till dusk without a Niyyat of either performing it on time or as Qadha. And if a person does not perform his Ghusl on Friday, it is Mustahab that he should perform the Qadha of Ghusl on Saturday at any time between dawn and dusk. And if a person knows that it will not be possible for him to procure water for his Ghusl on Friday he can perform the Ghusl during daytime of Thursday or during the night of Thursday with the Niyyat of Raja', that is, as a desirable act. And it is Mustahab to recite the following supplication while performing Friday Ghusl: 'Ash – hadu An La Ilaha Illa Allahu Wahdahu La Sharika Lah Wa Ash – Hadu Anna Mohammadan 'Abduhu Wa Rasuluh. Allahumma Salli 'Ala Mohammadin Wa Aali Mohammad Waj'alni Minat Tawwabina Waj'alni Minal Mutatahhirin. (I testify that there is none to be worshipped but Allah alone, Who has no associate and Mohammad is His servant and Messenger. O Allah! Bless Mohammad and his Progeny. And make me one of those who are repentant and pure).
- Taking baths on the 1st and on the eve of every other odd nights of holy month of Ramadhan, like eve of 3rd, 5th, 7th, however, it is recommended to take bath daily from the eve of 21st onward. Taking bath on the eve 1st, 15th, 17th, 19th, 21st, 23rd, 25th, 27th and 29th nights of holy month of Ramadhan is highly recommended. One can perform these Ghusls anytime of the night of holy month of Ramadhan. It is better that one should perform these Ghusls little before sunset, however, for the Ghusls from the 21st till the end of Ramadhan, it is better that one performs if between the Maghrib and ‘Isha prayers. And on the eve of 23rd it is Mustahab to perform another Ghusl by the end of the night.
- Ghusl on Eid Al – Fitr day and Eid Al – Adhha day. The time of this Ghusl is from Fajr up to Zuhr, since, there is a possibility that its time last till sunset, and if one performs the Ghusl after Zuhr, as per recommended precaution, he should perform it with the Niyyat of Raja’.
- Ghusl on the eve of Eid Al – Fitr. The time of this Ghusl is from Maghrib till Fajr, however, it is better to perform in early hours of night.
- Ghusl on the 8th and 9th of the month of Dhul – Hijja. As regards the bathing on the 9th of Dhul – Hijja it is better to perform it at noon-time.
- Ghusl on the 1st, 15th, 27th and last day of the month of Rajab.
- Ghusl on the day of Eid Al – Ghadir, it is better to perform it before Zuhr.
- Ghusl on the day of 24th of Dhul – Hijja.
- Ghusl on the day of Eid – e – Nourooz, 15th Shabaan, 9th and 17th of Rabi’ Al – Awwal, 25th of Dhul – Qa’dah.
- Ghusl to a new – born child. The time of this Ghusl is 2 – 3 days after birth, by the time they say it as new – born, and if it is delayed then give the Ghusl with the Niyyat of Raja’.
- Ghusl performed by a woman who has perfumed herself for anyone other than her husband.
- Ghusl of a person who fell asleep while he was in intoxication.
- Ghusl by a person who has touched a dead body after it has been given Ghusl.
- Ghusl by a person who witnessed solar or lunar eclipse and did not offer Namaz – e – Aayaat intentionally, while it is a case of absolute eclipse, rather it is recommended not to forsake this Ghusl, however, as per precautionary measures, one should perform the Ghusl, with the intention of overcoming his religious duty, in case of delay or Qadha in offering the Namaz – e – Aayaat.
- Ghusl by a person who went to witness the hanging and saw the hanged person. However, if his eyes fell on him by chance or helplessly, or if he had gone for example, to testify, Ghusl will not be Mustahab for him.
652. It is Mustahab to perform Ghusl before entering the Haram of Makkah, city of Makkah, visiting the holy Ka'bah (Masjid Al- Haraam), entering the holy Ka'bah, Madinah, and its Haram (sanctuary), city of Madinah, Masjid of holy Prophet (peace be upon him) and shrines of Imams (peace be upon them). If one gets an opportunity to visit the above mentioned places several times a day then one Ghusl will be sufficient for the day. And if someone wants to enter the Haram of Makkah and Majid Al – Haraam, and Ka’bah, it will suffice him if he performs one Ghusl with the Niyyat of all three. Similarly, if one wants to enter the Haram of Madinah, city of Madinah and Masjid of Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon Him) in one day, then one Ghusl will suffice for all three. Ghusl for the Ziyarat of the Holy Prophet and infallible Imams (peace be upon Them) whether from near or far, praying to Almighty Allah, and asking for repentance for the sins, and spree for Ibadat, and for going on a journey especially for the Ziarat of Imam Husain (peace be upon Him) is Mustahab. If one performs any one of the above mentioned Ghusl and then commits an act which invalidates the Wudhu, for example one goes to sleep, it is Mustahab that one should perform the Ghusl again.
653. One cannot perform the acts for which Wudhu is necessary, such as Namaz, after performing Mustahab Ghusl.
654. If a person wishes to perform a number of Mustahab Ghusls, one Ghusl with the Niyyat of performing all the Ghusls will be sufficient.