73. Istibra is a recommended act for men which they perform after urinating. Its object is to ensure that no more urine is left in the urethra. There are certain ways of performing Istibra, and the best of them is that after the passing of urine, if the anus also becomes Najis it is made Pak first. Thereafter, the part between the anus and the root of penis should be pressed thrice, with the middle finger of the left hand. Then the thumb is placed on the penis, and the forefinger below it pressing three times up to the point of circumcision, and then the front part of the penis should be jerked three times.
74. The liquid which is discharged by man during wooing and courtship is called Maz’i, and it is Pak. And the liquid which is seen after ejaculation, if the organ is washed properly, then it is Pak too and it is called Waz’i. Similarly, the liquid which at times comes out after urinating is called Wad’i and it is Pak if urine has not reached it. If a person performs Istibra after urinating, and then discharges liquid
doubting whether it is urine, or one of the above mentioned three liquids, that liquid is Pak.
75. If a person doubts whether he has performed Istibra or not, and then discharges a liquid about which he is not sure whether it is Pak or not, that liquid will be deemed Najis, and if he has performed Wudhu it becomes void. However, if he doubts whether he performed the Istibra correctly or not, and a liquid is discharged, about which he is not sure whether it is Pak or not, that liquid will be Pak, and it will not invalidate the Wudhu.
76. If someone has not performed Istibra and enough time has elapsed since urinating, and one becomes sure that no urine is left in urinary passage, and then he sees some liquid, doubting whether it is Pak or not, he will consider it as Pak. And will not invalidate the Wudhu.
77. If a person urinates and performs Istibra, and also performs Wudhu, and if after Wudhu he sees a liquid discharged, of which he knows that it is either urine or semen, it will be obligatory upon him to do Ghusl, together with Wudhu. But if he had not performed Wudhu after Istibra, then Wudhu alone will be sufficient.
78. Istibra is not meant for women, and if she sees any liquid and she doubts whether it is urine, that liquid is Pak, and it will not invalidate Wudhu and Ghusl.