Obligatory acts of Namaz
There are eleven obligatory acts for prayers:
- Niyyat (Intention)
- Qiyam (Standing erect)
- Takbiratul Ihram (Saying Allahu Akbar while commencing the prayers)
- Ruku’ (Bowing)
- Sujood (Prostration)
- Qira’at (Recitation of Surah Al – Hamd and other Surah)
- Zikr (Prescribed recitation in Ruku’ and Sujood)
- Tashahhud (Bearing witness after completing the Sajdah of the second and the last Rak’at)
- Salaam (Salutation)
- Tartib (Sequence)
- Muwalat (To perform the different acts of prayers in regular succession).
951. Some of the obligatory acts of prayers are elemental (Rukn). Hence, if a person does not offer them, or makes any addition to them, whether intentionally or by mistake, his prayers become void. Some other obligatory acts of prayers are not elemental. Therefore, if any addition or omission made to these acts, intentionally, will render the prayers void. But, if the addition or omission is done by mistake, the prayers does not become void.
The elementals (Rukn) of Namaz are five:
- Intention (Niyyat)
- Takbiratul Ihram; unintentional addition, as per precautionary measure, will render the prayers void. Therefore, as per precaution, one should complete the prayer and offer it again.
- Standing (Qiyam) at the time of saying Takbiratul Ihram and before the Ruku’
- Two Sajdah in every Rak’at.