Method of Namaz – e – Mayyit
615. There are 5 Takbirs (saying Allah – o – Akbar) in Namaz – e – Mayyit and it is sufficient if a person recites those 5 Takbirs in the following order:
- After making Niyyat to offer the prayers and pronouncing the 1st Takbir he should say: Ash – hadu An La Ilaha Illa Allah Wa Anna Mohammadar Rasulullah. (I bear witness that there is no God but Allah and that Mohammad is Allah's Messenger).
- After the 2nd Takbir he should say: Alla – humma Salli 'Ala Mohammadin Wa Aali Mohammad. (O' Lord! Bestow peace and blessing upon Mohammad and his progeny).
- After the 3rd Takbir he should say: Alla – hummaghfir lil Mu'minina Wal Mu'minat. (O' Lord! Forgive all believers - men as well as women).
- After the 4th Takbir, if the deceased is man, he should say: Alla – humma Ighfir li hazal Mayyit. (O' Lord! Forgive this dead body). If the dead person is a woman, he would say: Alla – humma Ighfir li hazihil Mayyit. Thereafter he should pronounce the 5th Takbir.
It is, however, better that he should pronounce the following supplications after the Takbirs respectively:
- After the 1st Takbir: Ash – hadu An La Ilaha illa Allahu Wahdahu La Sharika Lah. Wa Ash – hadu Anna Mohammadan 'Abduhu Wa Rasuluh, Arsalahu Bil Haqqi Bashiran Wa Naziran Bayna Yada Yis Sa'ah.
- After the 2nd Takbir: Alla – humma Salli 'Ala Mohammadin Wa Aali Mohammad Wa Barik 'Ala Mohammadin Wa Aali Mohammad Warham Mohammadan Wa Aala Mohammadin Ka Afdhali Ma Sallayta Wa Barakta Wa Tarah Hamta 'Ala Ibrahima Wa Aali Ibrahima Innaka
Hamidum Majid Wa Salli 'Ala Jami'il Ambiya'I Wal – Mursalina Wash – Shuhada’i Was – Siddiqina Wa Jami'i 'Ibadilla His – Salihin.
- After the 3rd Takbir: Alla – humma Ighfir lil Mu'minina Wal Mu'minati Wal Muslimina Wal Muslimat, Al Ahya'i Minhum Wal Amwaat Tabi' Baynana Wa Baynahum Bil Khayrati Innaka Mujibud – Da'wat Innaka 'Ala Kulli Shay'in Qadeer.
- After the 4th Takbir: Alla – humma Inna Haza 'Abduka Wabnu 'Abdika Wabnu Amatika Nazala Bika Wa Anta Khayru Manzulin Bihi Alla – humma Inna la Na'lamu Minhu illa Khayran Wa Anta A'alamu Bihi Minna. Alla – humma In Kana Mohsinan fa Zid fi Ihsanihi Wa In Kana Musi'an Fatajawaz Anhu Waghfir Lahu. Alla – hummaj'alhu 'Indaka fi A'ala 'illiyyin Wakhluf 'Ala Ahlihi Fil Ghabirin Warhamhu Bi – Rahmatika Ya Ar Hamar Rahimin.
If the dead body is that of a woman he should say: Alla – humma Inna Hazihi 'Amatuka Wabnatu 'Abdika Wabnatu Amatika Nazalat Bika Wa Anta Khayro Manzulin Bihi Alla – humma Inna La Na'lamu Minha illa Khayra Wa Anta A'alamu Biha Minna. Alla – humma In Kanat Mohsinatan fa Zid fi Ihsaniha Wa In Kanat Musi'atan Fatajawaz 'Anha Waghfir Laha. Alla – humma Ij'alha 'Indaka fi A'ala 'illiyin Wakhluf 'Ala Ahliha Fil Ghabirin Warhamha Bi – Rahmatika Ya Ar Hamar Rahimin. Thereafter he should pronounce the 5th Takbir.
616. A person offering prayers for the dead body should recite Takbirs and supplications in a sequence, so that Namaz – e – Mayyit does not lose its form.
617. A person who offers Namaz – e – Mayyit in congregation, should recite all the Takbirs and supplications.